Sunday, October 16, 2011

Un Bon Weekend, Indeed.

These dairy-free pastries came Friday evening as a treat from my lovely adopted family.
My weekend began with a situation that made me giggle at myself and the ways of the world. Minutes before dinner on Friday night I was chatting with my little sis about my worries that I was imposing on the family, as Grandma had arrived that morning with giant wooded boxes of apples, squash and bulbous heirloom tomatoes. She is from the country, doesn't understand a thing I say in French, and began cleaning the house within minutes of her arrival. I felt in the way and so obviously foreign. She had invited me to dine with them, though, and when I sat down at the table, I realized it wasn't just out of obligation. They had left a square of spaghetti squash au gratin without cheese on top, and when I apologized that I had to leave to meet a friend they sat me back down for a second, refilled my glass of kir (blackcurrant liqueur and white wine) and brought out two boxes of pastries from the Asian bakery. There, Katia told me, they use oil instead of butter. Awwwwwww : ). My uncertain feelings disappeared completely as I thanked them profusely and took a piece of orange-blossom brioche and a sesame almond shortbread pyramid cookie. And on this perfect note, I went out on the town with a big group of other La Rochelle assistants and drank and danced away my Friday night.

On Saturday Alexandra, Kelli and Erin arrived on the train. A wander around the port and a day at the beach (no swimming but lots of sun) began our vacation-esque weekend. This also brought us to the conclusion that this year might feel like one long weekend, in the best of ways.
We ate kebabs, saw La Rochelle by night, ate more kebabs and woke up to a lovely Sunday of strolling around town and taking pictures of weird vegetables.
It's funny meeting people and bonding so quickly. It was like hosting old friends in my new home. Nothing was new, however, about the niceties of waking up slowly on a Sunday morning to a room full of friends, a bit hungover but ready to get out of the house and into the sun. We got breakfast at the boulangerie across the street and wandered into town for coffee by the port. The town took a while to wake up, too, so we got to mosey in solitude until the afternoon when we sat by the beach and people-watched. There is a lot to talk about when you've just met someone and have already had so much fun.
An impressively huge and billowing French flag that appeared recently; Erin in the beautifully kept botanic gardens that we stumbled upon today. It was like wandering in to someone's brilliant backyard obsession, but it has open entrances on three different city blocks. I had walked upon it my first full day in La Rochelle but hadn't made it as far as we did.
Stay tuned for a recap of my vegan moussaka victory, and most likely handfuls more pictures of sun-drenched La Rochelle. It's all so picturesque I can't help myself. If they are all starting to look the same don't worry because the seasons are changing as I type and in less than one week I'll be off to Berlin for vacation! Wait, haven't I just started work? Yes, yes I have. Thank you France :)

No comments:

Post a Comment