Thursday, October 20, 2011

À demain, Berlin

I am sitting at my computer, wrapped up to my eyes in the enormous orange scarf that Katia lent me for my trip to Berlin. It is more like a fleece blanket. "You will need this," she told me, smiling slyly as if I were in for the unexpected. Which happens to be exactly what I am looking forward to.
This week has been a tad strange, because I have been on the verge of sickness, aka incredibly sleepy all the time. It hasn't been good for the speaking two languages game, but it hasn't seemed to negatively effect my teaching. As the week passed, I became more comfortable and energetic with my classes, and I think my comfort is rubbing off on them. This afternoon, as we were working in small groups to plan our 'dream vacations,' a girl asked me, in hesitant but focused English, "What is your life like in America? Is it different than my life here?"

The fact that her interest in US life overpowered her fear of speaking English says a lot. So many students, after ooo-ing and ahh-ing at my photos of Oregon and California, tell me how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful place. The use the word "beautiful" to describe all of America, even New York City. It's so funny to me because truthfully, I told her, life isn't that different.

I need to sleep to wake up for my 5:45 train to Paris, but I'm sure I will be writing more about finding the balance between learning, speaking and fun in my lessons, and figuring out the attitudes and strengths of all my different classes. Report back in 10 days!! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment