Saturday, October 8, 2011

One Saturday Morning in Autumn

It is Saturday, and even though I haven't actually started work yet it feels good like weekends should feel. It is sunny but the air is crisp...Fall. I slept in and ate a muesli and fig breakfast while searching for tickets to Berlin to visit mon amie Hannah, who is living there until at least the end of the month. And I bought a ticket! From Paris. I am SOOO excited about seeing Hannah and Berlin and Hannah's Berlin in less than two weeks! Exclamation points necessary.

I finally meandered out of my room around noon and set out to make the perfect fall meal, polenta with tomatoes which Zoë introduced to me during my last days in Portland. It is simple, warm and contains some of my favorite things: cherry tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Mmm.

I also added some leftover eggplant, mushrooms and chard.

Here is the original recipe:

Polenta:
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 cup corn grits or polenta
1-2 medium ears fresh corn, (1 cup)

Tomatoes:
2 pints cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
Pepper!
1/4 cup basil, tarragon, parsley
Salt




1. To prepare polenta: bring 3 cups of water to boil in medium sauce pan and add salt. Stir in grits and fresh corn and continue to stir until water returns to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until polenta is thick and smooth. Cover.

2. For tomatoes, put it all in a heated skillet. Add herbs after 3-4 minutes, and sauté for 2 more minute.



 Put the polenta in a bowl and spoon the tomatoes over it. It steams delicious. And with that, plus my oversized cashmere sweater (thanx Bins), I have the *inner warmth* (teehee) to ride bikes to the Mediatheque with Katia and get a library card.

No comments:

Post a Comment